65 g (2½ oz) margarine
40 g (1½ oz) lard
75 g (3 oz) caster sugar
½ medium egg
1 x 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) vanilla essence
150 g (5 oz) Self Raising Flour
oats or desiccated coconut
1. Heat oven to 180ºC, 350ºF, Gas Mark 4. Grease two baking trays.
2. Cream the margarine, lard and the sugar until very light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
3. Stir in the flour and mix well.
4. Roll walnut sized pieces of the mixture into balls and toss in rolled oats or desiccated coconut.
5. Place on baking trays, flatten slightly and place a small piece of cherry on each biscuit. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
N.B. To help shape "ball" type biscuits, slightly dampen the hands.